Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Introducing MeiMei, Our Second Treasure from China!

 You've been asking, and now we are telling.  YES!  We are bringing home two girls!  Our agency gave approval on October 4th for these two specific girls to be placed together in our home. There has been some scurrying around behind the scenes, papers sent, her file lost somewhere in the computer system between our agency and China, (VERY scary) but we have just received our PA (pre approval) from China for another adorable six year old, also from Southeast China.  We are so blessed to introduce her!

MeiMei is the Chinese name that those closest to her would call her. She is called "Jennifer" or "Jennie" at her school.  At this point all that has been decided name-wise is that "Jennifer" and her Chinese name will appear in some form.

So what is MeiMei like?  She is a lovely child who gets along well with others, though she is a bit shy.  She attends an English speaking preschool a few days a week. She likes playing with toys, building towers, and watching cartoons with other children.  In a video that we have of her, MeiMei puts puzzles together like I do. You know, put the piece down and try to slam it into place, to make it fit?   (Ethan got a big laugh when he saw that!)  And get this statement that I read in her report - she knows the answer to "Why should you wash your hands before meals?"  LOL!  Yes, I know she is MINE!

Like Abigail, MeiMei is diagnosed with cerebral palsy, though hers is a bit more involved physically.  At this time, she uses a walker to assist her, but her mobility is improving rapidly.  Dr. Staat (from the International Adoption Center) who reviewed her medical files on October 9, was very encouraging about MeiMei's expected progress once she begins therapy in the states.

We've been fingerprinted by the USCIS, and they are processing our immigration papers for both girls.  We're currently waiting for an officer to be assigned to our case. He or she will review our homestudy and our fingerprints, and if all are acceptable will then issue approval. Once our Form I-800A approval has been received in the mail, it will be notarized, state certified, and authenticated.  That is the final document needed for our dossier.

We expect to bring both of our daughters home at the same time.  The best guess for travel is still predicted to be sometime towards the beginning of the summer of 2013.  That seems like a VERY long time from now.




1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog through the WC advocacy yahoo group. Congrats on your latest news! I was wondering if you could share the email address of who you contact at USCIS? We walked in almost two weeks ago early in Pennsylvania, had no problems, but have not received approval. I wonder if I should have emailed them? thanks so much! Erin Schmidt

    ReplyDelete