UPDATE! Jan 2014 - Lance has a family!!!! One of my personal favorites being advocated for there, (and reportedly the camp favorite), is a twelve year old they call "Lance." His massive smile lights up the room; and his cheerful voice praising his Maker gives one the goosebumps! This boy loves to sing! Be sure to give a listen to the second video on his profile to hear some of that singing. What Lance wants more than anything in this world is to have a mom and dad. Could it be you?
If you would like to learn more about this sweet boy, or any of the great kids they advocate for, stop by the brand new
Defend website or Defend Facebook page
If you have room in your heart and home, but aren't sure how to get started, feel free to drop me a line or check out the helpful section on their website about how to get started with adoption.
These older children have so very much to offer. All they need is the chance - and a family!


Randi - I was in contact with you a few weeks ago (for some ornaments). My husband and I fully intend on adopting a 'special needs' child (of any age) from China sometime down the road. We have a 4 month old and 24 month old at home right now, so our hands are pretty full at the present moment... BUT, what I have been wondering alot lately is whether or current home is at all suited for one of these children. We have a 2 story house with no bedrooms on the main level (or even any capacity/room for a bedroom). Are most of the special needs/handicapped children in wheelchairs? We are contemplating doing some work on our home (but it would be to make more living space in the basement, not on the main floor), and I'm wondering if rather than doing that, if we should be looking for a new ranch style home instead (that would be better suited for a child in a wheelchair). But, I would hate to have to 'waste' money selling/buying a different home if we don't need to... do you think there are plenty of children needing a home that could live in a 2 story? Any insght/thoughts you could share would be much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story!
Angelia Squires
Angelia, so happy to hear that you are considering adding to your family through adoption. By no means are all of the children in wheelchairs! I posted just today concerning five aging out boys, so I will use them as examples. In reading their profiles none of them look as if they have any mobility issues. Two just have cleft palate! In fact if they were girls they likely would have been adopted long ago.
DeleteWhen you are ready I would suggest contacting one of the larger, reputable adoption agencies. They will help you through a checklist of needs that you feel you could work with. Lots and lots and lots of children will do just fine with a two story house. -- As I say this I fully realize that we have totally chosen a child who needs some adaptations to thrive in our two story house. Sometimes we fall in love with a child whom we didn't expect! Excited to hear what is ahead for your family. Stay in touch!