It seems our house has been hopping with activity since before Ruth's wedding. So much so that I was anticipating a "relaxing weekend at home" which meant Ruth and Gerret were here opening their wedding gifts (joined by a crowd for whom I made dinner) and loading a moving truck with her things. James and his girlfriend were coming in (from college) to visit too. Relaxing? The gift opening and dinner part went well, and when I put the Little Princesses to bed on Friday night I assured them that we were going NOWHERE the following day. The reality of Saturday was no where on my radar.
At seven in the morning my daughter, Hannah called to tell me that her water had broken, and she had signs of labor. I have six other grandchildren, so this announcement might not have taken me by surprise except that this baby wasn't due for another five weeks! I quickly dressed and began the three hour trip wondering what kind of "dirty lying rat" thoughts my little girls would have that day. My intention was to return yet that evening.
As it turned out, Ethan took the Little Princesses to watch their nephews launch model rockets that day. I guess they were fascinated and had a good time, AND it became apparent that at least Abigail is catching on to the whole concept of family. She told my oldest daughter, Sarah, that Aaron (her husband) was a Baba but not HER Baba. And she (Sarah) was a Mama, but not HER Mama. Great concept. Abigail then proceeded to tell her that HER Mama had driven off, and something about a sleeping baby. Ouch at the driving off part!
Babies do what babies want to do, and this baby wanted to have our full attention for the entire day. He finally made his appearance at 11:58 pm! He was sent to the NICU as a precaution, but he is doing very well.
Ethan drove over the following day to meet the new family member. I met him (and the Princesses) at the entrance to the hospital. Abigail stopped and stared when she saw me, then began sobbing! I quickly picked her up and she just clung to me, with both her arms and legs, and cried for a long time.
What was going through her little head? Did she think I had left her forever? Were there flashbacks of other times in her life when those she had become attached to had simply walked away? We'll likely never know. Adoption always comes with a loss. She has lost so much in her little life. I wish I could just kiss the boo boos to make them all better. But some of those losses will stay with her forever.
I'm hoping the weekend is a memory that will serve her when I make the trip to China to bring Isaac home. Sometimes Mama has to go, but Mama always comes back.

Congratulations on your new beautiful granddaughter. What fun! Praying your little girls wont be too upset when you leave for China and will be more excited about their new brother you will bring home.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you all
Erika