Today the guys came to begin work on the ramp. There wasn't much actual work accomplished on it, but they did rethink the entire plan at our request. The original plan had the ramp beginning at the door and going straight out ten feet to a five foot by five foot deck. It would then turn and go out another six feet to the driveway. It was going to be a big deal noticeable thing and a huge change to the layout of the front yard.
My biggest concern about this plan was the potential of cutting off activities on the front porch. We use it a lot. Not only do the girls and I really enjoy swinging out there, but we've even had a couple of parties on the front porch. I really want Isaac to be able to be a part of it all.
They have an alternative plan that I'm very excited about. The way I understand it, the ramp will come out the front door onto a platform that goes down towards the swing. Isaac would then be able to wheel about on the front porch. There will be a section taken out of our porch railing to allow the platform to go out to a deck where his chair can turn. The ramp will then run parallel to the front porch and down to the sidewalk. It upsets the layout of the front yard less - well except for having to move all the bushes and the hostas in front of the house out a few feet.
They are hoping to get the posts set by next week. I'm so excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment