My online friend Linny from A Place Called Simplicity put forth the challenge to STOP in this busy holiday season and reflect on the goodness of God, and then to take the time to share something God has done this year. Wow! Where does one even begin? It has been a year of amazing changes in our family, and also in me personally.
Did you know I've been a nervous person most of my life? Blame it on my genetics or lack of faith or whatever, but I'm certain it has driven my family crazy at times. This year in spite of the fear
of flying,
of potential bedbugs,
of unknown bacterias, (I've been afraid of many things)
and generally hating to be away from home,
I marched onto a plane (for way too many hours) and went halfway around the world to China!
This was totally a God thing, and not a me thing. It was seeing the dream of a decade and a half come true. It was seeing these two former orphans
become a part of a big family who loved and wanted them very much!
There were times that I wondered HOW it could happen. There were so many obstacles (besides my own phobias!) but God is faithful, always.
It is funny, but when we began the adoption process I was thinking what a good thing it was going to be for our girls to be in a family - and indeed, it is very good. But somewhere along maybe the half way mark of the process I began to see that I needed them just as much as they needed me. I get a little uncomfortable when people say "how lucky" they are to have been adopted. I tell you in all honesty that I am the "lucky" one. Our princesses are absolute treasures. How much I would have missed had I listened to my fears. Indeed, God did very great things this year!



I came over from Linny's blog. I'm a single homeschooling mom to two girls from China, one adopted as a baby, one at almost 7 from the waiting child list. Your story is so inspiring! It is what I dreamed of as a child after reading a book called "Who are the DeBolts and Where Did They Get 19 Kids?" I knew in my heart I would adopt children from overseas and I felt they would be Asian. I expected there to be a husband to go along with my dream, but this particular prayer was not answered in the way I had hoped. Still I am so blessed to have my girls. I still hope for one more but illness and finances will probably prevent that from happening, though I am still open to a miracle! God bless you as you get ready and travel for your Prince. I'm glad I pushed my fears to the side as well and became a mom who found a big part of her heart in China!
ReplyDeleteWow Randi. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your post. Your blatant transparency screams to the world about how Big God is and how much He's done. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I want EVERYONE to read your post. So proud of you and so thankful for all God has done. Selah.
ReplyDeleteWhat a year to remember. Blessings on your gorgeous family...each one of you lucky to have each other.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed looking around your blog. I also follow Linny's blog. My husband and I are also from Ohio, have three married children, two grandchildren, one adult daughter with SN at home, and one little princess from China that we adopted three and a half years ago. She was 4 1/2 at the time. We have been married 33 years, married in 1980. Love to "meet" others that are "older" parents doing this the second time around!
ReplyDeleteGreat Blog post! Thanks for sharing, especially about overcoming the fears, I think a lot of people can relate.
ReplyDeleteOn a less serious note......What I'd like to congratulate you on is the awesome color coordiantion in your picture above. As a family of 8 I know what a pain that can be and I just love the fact that ya'll pulled if off.
good job
HI! I wanted you to know that I am praying for Peter's homecoming right along with my Haven and Aaron. I stumbled on your blog and realized that you and I are on literally, to the day, the exact same timeline for DTC, LID, OOT....so I've been watching your blog closely! Here's us - I would love to email and be in contact with you as I am guessing we will travel around the same time! www.roepnack.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete